|Sandy McIntyre, Editor
|I have this theory that chocolate slows down the aging process.... It may not be true, but do I dare take the chance?|
|Vol. XVI, No. 19||King's Gate Club - a 55+ community, Nokomis, Florida||May 17, 2003|
Wednesday, May 21 - Board of Directors Meeting
Thursday, May 22 -Jetty Picnic - Last of the season
Thursday, May 29 - Solos Dinner at Marker 4 Oyster Bar
Bud Schmidt, 304 Ave. of Dukes, was in Bon Secours Hospital for over a week where he underwent stomach surgery and lots of tests. He came home on Tuesday and is beginning to feel better.
Ellie Lambiotte will be doing Healthline for the summer. Please call her at 486-1749 or e-mail email@example.com to report sickness, injury, or death. --- Blanche Madden
THANK YOU very much for all expressions of concern, cards, food, visits, and prayers during my recent illness.
LAST JETTY PICNIC FOR THE SEASON: Thursday, May 22nd, Social hour 5-6 pm, Dine at 6 pm. Everyone welcome to come to the Jetty Picnic to enjoy and meet new arrivals at King's Gate. Everybody is to bring a dish to share also to feed about 10 people. Newcomers remember to bring beverage, plate and silverware, snacks for social hour.
KING'S GATE SOLOS' CLUB meeting at Marker 4 Oyster Bar at Fisherman's Warf, 505 N. Tamiami Trail, Venice, May 29th - 5:30 PM. Order from the menu. Please wear your name tag and ask a Solo friend to come with you. Any questions or need a ride, call me. --- Dick Bartlett, 485-1039
FLU SHOTS: October 22, 2003, 1 PM - 3 PM in the Hall. If you've already signed up, please do so again, as someone took the sign-up sheets down. Thank you. --- Eleanor Gregory
KGC TRAVEL: Tentative Travel schedule for Fall 2003 - Spring 2004 as follows:
11/08/03 - 7 day Caribbean Cruise (non-escorted - low fare)
12/7/03 - "White Christmas Revue" Broadway Palms Dinner Theatre (BPDT)
1/18/04 - The Pajama Game" BPDT
2/5/04 (tentative) - River Cruise with Lunch
2/19/04 (week of) - 7 or 10 day Caribbean Cruise (50th anniversary - Jackie & Nip)
3/14/04 - "Carousel" Broadway Palms Dinner Theatre
4/2/04 - Sailor Circus
Final schedule will be available October 1 by mail and website. Day and multi-day trips available from Happy Heart Tours all year. Book through KGC Travel. Travel destinations to the World - VIP World Travel - anytime, anywhere. Please check the website: www.kgc.cc/travel for information, news and schedules.
Travel Committee is seeking a replacement Travel Coordinator - Interested? Please talk to Nip - 485-9308 for details.
ORCHIDS to Mary Jane Christopherson and Lucille Anderson for hosting the very successful Ladies Luncheon at Café Amié at the Venice Art Center on Thursday. Thirty-nine King's Gate Club women enjoyed the charming atmosphere, good company, and excellent food. After lunch they had the opportunity to appreciate the artwork of local school children which is now on display at the Art Center.
FROM THE E-MAIL INBOX: Congratulations to Allan & Mary Ellen Elliott on celebrating their 60th wedding anniversary. They owned 150 Duchess and left last year.
KGC RESIDENT HONORED: Congratulations to Gary Townsend (211 Castle Dr.) who was awarded the 2003 Lewiston Mayor and Supervisor's Award in Niagara County, New York, for his service to his community. Gary has been a member of the Sanborn Fire Company for almost 40 years and held many offices including Fire Chief. His was instrumental in starting a Fire Prevention Bureau (which he chaired for 22 years), helping to set up a hazardous material department, and establishing a town park. Also, Gary is President of the Sanborn Area Historical Society and has worked towards the development of several museums to preserve the area's history, promote tourism, and create job opportunities. A newspaper clipping with the details and a photo is on the bulletin board.
COUNTY NEWS: For residents who have asked for an update on some road projects, I received the following from Frank Domongo of the Sarasota Highway Department.
- Pinebrook Rd. extension from Venice Avenue to Center Road which will make it easier to get to the Health Center and points east is to be built by Pelican Point developer and will be advertised for bid this coming June and construction will be in the Fall of 2003.
- Border Road just east of I-75 to Jacaranda Blvd. will be paved in 2004 which will give us easy access to Jacaranda Blvd. and the Wal-Mart area without getting onto I-75.
- The appraisal on our 8+ acres is being reviewed by the firm of Wilson-Miller working for the Sarasota County and should be complete in the next 45 days or about the first of July.
PHONEBOOK CORRECTION: Chuck and Judy Leight (162 Castle Dr.) are the new Coffee Chairpersons. Thanks again to Lois Dievendorf for ensuring for many years that we had coffee every Saturday morning.
- Chocolate covered raisins, cherries, orange slices and strawberries all count as fruit, so eat as many as you want.
- The problem: How to get 2 pounds of chocolate home from the store in hot car. The solution: Eat it in the parking lot.
- Diet tip: Eat a chocolate bar before each meal. It'll take the edge off your appetite and you'll eat less.
- If I eat equal amounts of dark chocolate and white chocolate, is that a balanced diet? Don't they actually counteract each other?
- Put "eat chocolate" at the top of your list of things to do today. That way, at least you'll get one thing done.
Return to: Recent Newsletters Home Page Site Map
Newsletters read since July 30, 2005: